Every family has its traditions for the holidays – touch football games on Thanksgiving, taking the annual photo of “the kids”, traditional Polish/Italian Christmas Eve dinners, eating Chinese food and going to the movies on Christmas Day.
We took a completely unofficial poll, and came up with even more family traditions. Try adding one or two of these to your family’s celebrations to make spending the holidays in your new home that much sweeter, cozier and more memorable!
- Sitting by the fire, sipping hot cocoa and telling stories from years past
- Baking cookies / cupcakes / gingerbread men from secret family recipe book
- Playing a holiday round of golf
- Lighting the menorah together
- A new tree ornament or decoration every year
- Reading a favorite Christmas story together
- Listening to Christmas music from Thanksgiving Day until Christmas
- Watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade
- Picking pollyannas for Christmas / Hanukkah
- Opening one present on Christmas Eve
- Video chatting with relatives who are far away for the holidays
- Staying in your PJs all day on Christmas
- Going to Midnight mass / services on Christmas Eve
- Letting the youngest (or oldest) member of the family open presents first
- Caroling at the local nursing home
- Lying under the Christmas tree when the lights are on
- Bringing treats or gifts to those who have to work the holidays (nurses, firefighters)
- Watching favorite holiday movies snuggled together on the couch
- Lighting luminaria
- Hiding one present for each child
Headquartered in Burr Ridge, Illinois, Beechen & Dill Homes is recognized as one of Chicagoland’s most buyer-friendly and distinctive home builders. Beechen & Dill has constructed an award-winning reputation over 40 years and dozens of planned communities and custom home projects in Chicago’s south and southwest suburbs. For more information, please visit beechendill.com.